1. The big movies opening this week are the biographical crime film “American Made” rated R and about a pilot (Tom Cruise) who lands work for the CIA and as a drug runner during the 1980s; Kiefer Sutherland reprises his role in “Flatliners,” the sequel to the 1990 film about a medical students experimenting with the afterlife.
2. Grab Fido or Rover and take them for a walk on Sunday to start off National Walk Your Dog Week right! If you don’t own a dog, accompany a friend or volunteer to walk dogs at your local animal shelter.
3. This coming week is also National Newspaper Week. Check with your paper to see if anything special is planned, or simply celebrate by reading the paper.
4. This time of year is great for sports fans, as baseball and soccer leagues are gearing up for the playoffs and college and pro football are in action. Check out the website of your team or league for schedule information.
5. October is upon us, so it’s time to start decorating for Halloween! You can do it on the cheap, too – have your kids draw spooky decorations, make your own ghosts or whatever you can think of. Pumpkin patches, haunted houses and corn mazes are starting to open as well. If it’s already gone a bit chilly outside, be sure to enjoy some hot apple cider to celebrate National Hot Mulled Cider Day on Saturday.