Here are five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. There are a number of new movies out this week: "Wonderstruck" rated PG and adapted from the best-selling 2011 children's novel about a young boy in the Midwest and a young girl in New York from fifty years ago as they both seek the same mysterious connection;
"The Snowman" an R-rated crime-thriller about a detective (Michael Fassbender) investigating the disappearance of a woman whose pink scarf is found wrapped around an ominous-looking snowman; the PG-13 comedy-horror "Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween; where Perry's gun-toting granny character faces off against monsters, goblins and the boogeyman; "Only the Brave" the true story of a group of elite firefighters who risk everything to protect a town from a historic wildfire; and " Geostorm" a PG-13 sci-fi film about a race against the clock to stop a network of satellites (designed to control the global climate) from attacking Earth.
2. October is National Pasta Month and you can celebrate it by inviting friends and family over for dinner. Show off your favorite homemade red sauce or make a pasta bar — by having a spread of various pastas, sauces and toppings and giving guests the chance to create their own special dish.
3. Halloween is a little over a week away, making this the prime time to get to a haunted house or to buy or finish making your costume. Check the newspaper for listings, or seek out some other spooky seasonal fun.
4. Monday is National Boston Cream Pie Day! Technically the confection is a cake consisting of two sponge cake layers with a thick vanilla custard in the middle all frosted with a chocolate glaze. The dessert became the state of Massachusetts' official dessert in 1996 but don't limit yourself to the original, as the it is popular flavor for coffee, doughnuts, cupcakes, ice cream and more.
5. The MLB playoffs continue this weekend with the Yankees versus the Astros and the Cubs versus the Dodgers. Not a baseball fan? Then check out the NASCAR Xfinity Series Kansas Lottery 300 at the Kansas Speedway, the World Cup qualifying soccer matches or some college football.
A detective (Michael Fassbender) investigates the disappearance of a woman whose pink scarf is found wrapped around an ominous-looking snowman in "The Snowman." (Universal Pictures)
It's National Pasta Month. Celebrate it by hosting a pasta bar for your friends and family to enjoy. (Pixabay)