A double-wide mobile home located in the 800 block of East Brown Street in Paris was badly damaged during an early morning fire on Sunday, April 9, according to Paris Volunteer Fire Department Chief John Paul Wells.

Wells said the home suffered extensive fire damage to the roof and walls and water damage inside the structure and can’t be occupied. He said there were four or five people inside the residence at the time of the fire and they were not injured. None of the 13 firefighters responding to the blaze were harmed, Wells said.

According to Wells, the fire alarm came in at 1:21 a.m. on Sunday, April 10. Fire trucks arrived at the scene around 1:25 a.m. They fought the fire for around three hours before bringing the blaze under control and stayed at the scene until 5 a.m., Wells said.

Wells said the fire started near a small refrigerator on the back porch.

“It started either in the refrigerator wiring or in the plug in,” Wells said. “The fire traveled up the wall and into the ceiling and the roof. The cause of the fire is not suspicious at all.”

Wells said the fire was “very difficult to fight” because the structure was a double-wide mobile home. The homeowner operated a day care center at the site.

“Being a double-wide mobile home made it very difficult to get to the fire,” Wells said. “The home is pretty much destroyed.”