Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters is the R-rated action thriller "Mile 22" about an elite American intelligence officer, aided by a top-secret tactical command unit, tries to smuggle a mysterious police officer with sensitive information out of the country; the PG-13 rated romantic comedy based on the best-selling novel "Crazy Rich Asians" follows native New Yorker Rachel Chu to Singapore to meet her boyfriend's family; and "Alpha" PG-13 epic adventure set in the last Ice Age telling the origins of man's best friend.
2. Whether it's chips, fries, mashed or boiled, enjoy potatoes your favorite way on Sunday for National Potato Day. Perhaps try them prepared in a new way such as in latkes (potato pancakes) or with an unusual topping such as caramelized onions and mushrooms.
3. If you have school-age kids, this is the perfect weekend for some back-to-school shopping. You can try to find some deals at a thrift shop, or head to your favorite store. Have a game plan in mind so you and your kids aren't just running around aimlessly.
4. Also this weekend marks the end of "Exercise With Your Child Week." So go out for a run, swim or to ride bikes with your child or children to celebrate and enjoy the last days of summer.
5. In sports, this weekend we have the Little League Baseball World Series (Aug. 16-26), always a big hit. Also in action are Major League Baseball, NASCAR and Major League Soccer. Check the newspaper for schedules.