Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. There are several big movies opening this week, “First Man” rated PG-13 is a look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the moon; “Bad Times at the El Royale” an R-rated mystery-thriller about seven strangers, each with a secret to bury, who meet at Lake Tahoe’s El Royale, a rundown hotel with a dark past; and for the kids is the PG-rated “Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween” a sequel to the 2015 film in which Halloween comes to life in a comedy adventure based on R.L. Stine’s 400-million-selling series of books.
2. National Chess Day is always the second Saturday in October. So this Saturday, Oct.13, take part by playing chess with friends in person or online, and check the newspaper to see if any chess clubs are holding any events this weekend.
3. Sunday is National Dessert Day, celebrate by making your favorite sweet treat or going out to a restaurant and ordering dessert first!
4. Teen Read Week ends on Sunday. It’s a week designed to get teens using the library and reading.This year’s theme “It’s Written in the Stars: READ.” encourage teens to think and read outside of the box, as well as seek out fantasy, science fiction and other out-of- this-world reads. Though most libraries are closed on Sundays, you can spend the weekend looking up books that seem interesting, or going to the library on Saturday to stock up. For more information, go to http://teenreadweek.ning.com/.
5. It’s another good sports weekend: MLB playoffs, NASCAR’s Chase, NFL and college football, MLS soccer and more are taking place. Check your TV guide for more information.
More Content Now