An 1,800 square foot building in Paris being used as a garage and shop was destroyed by a fire of undetermined origin on Monday, March 3.

The fire was reported to the Paris Volunteer Fire Department between 4:45 p.m. and 5 p.m., according to Fire Chief John Wells. The building was located on land north of West Walnut Street behind Miller’s TV and Appliances, Wells said.

"When we got there, the building was fully engulfed in flames," Wells said. "There are no fire plugs close to the location, so we had to shuttle water back and forth to the scene from a fire plug on West Walnut."

A motor home was parked 10 to 15 feet from the building and it caught fire, as well.

"The motor home caught fire even though we had soaked the outside of the motor home," Wells said. "Some seat cushions in the back of the motor home had caught fire and were smouldering."

Wells said firemen were able to put out the fire inside the motor home.

The property owners weren’t home at the time, Wells said.

Wells said it is difficult to say what started the fire.

"It’s hard to tell when the building is fully engulfed," he said. "We believe the fire started in the south side of the building. But the building was totally destroyed and there’s not much to go back and look at."

Wells said the March 3 fire was the second this year reported at that address.

"We were sent to that address on Jan. 1 in response to a truck that was on fire," Wells said.

Wells said there was welding equipment, a washer and dryer and a freezer inside the building.

Firemen were at the scene for two hours and no one was injured, Wells said.